GJ 876 e - Laplace Resonance!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GJ 876 e - Laplace Resonance!

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 22nd June 2010, 8:10 pm

The Lick-Carnegie Exoplanet Survey: A Uranus-mass Fourth Planet for GJ 876 in an Extrasolar Laplace Configuration
http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.4244

Abstract wrote:(Abreviated) Continued radial velocity monitoring of the nearby M4V red dwarf star GJ~876 with Keck/HIRES has revealed the presence of a Uranus-mass fourth planetary companion in the system. The new planet has a mean period of $P_e=126.6$ days (over the 12.6-year baseline of the radial velocity observations), and a minimum mass of $m_e\sin{i_e}=12.9\pm 1.7\,M_{\oplus}$. Self-consistent, N-body fits to the radial velocity data set show that the four-planet system has an invariable plane with an inclination relative to the plane of the sky of $i=59.5^{\circ}$. The fit is not significantly improved by the introduction of a mutual inclination between the planets ``b'' and ``c,'' but the new data do confirm a non-zero eccentricity, $e_d=0.207\pm0.055$ for the innermost planet, ``d.'' In our best-fit coplanar model, the mass of the new component is $m_e=14.6\pm1.7\,M_{\oplus}$. Our best-fitting model places the new planet in a 3-body resonance with the previously known giant planets (which have mean periods of $P_c=30.4$ and $P_b=61.1$ days). The critical argument, $\varphi_{\rm Laplace}=\lambda_c-3\lambda_b+2\lambda_e$, for the Laplace resonance librates with an amplitude of $\Delta\varphi_{\rm Laplace}=40\pm13^{\circ}$ about $\varphi_{\rm Laplace}=0^{\circ}$. Numerical integration indicates that the four-planet system is stable for at least a billion years (at least for the coplanar cases). This resonant configuration of three giant planets orbiting an M-dwarf primary differs from the well-known Laplace configuration of the three inner Galilean satellites of Jupiter, which are executing very small librations about $\varphi_{\rm Laplace}=180^{\circ}$, and which never experience triple conjunctions. The GJ~876 system, by contrast, comes close to a triple conjunction between the outer three planets once per every orbit of the outer planet, ``e.''

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3468
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: GJ 876 e - Laplace Resonance!

Post by Edasich on 23rd June 2010, 3:47 am

I was expecting it were an inner planet, instead it is an outer one as inferred with Systemic console. Intriguing Very Happy
Edasich
dM star
dM star

Number of posts : 1510
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stalker on 23rd June 2010, 3:51 am

You think this planet has clouds of water or ammonia?

Jovian

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AVBursch on 23rd June 2010, 4:00 am

The planet is beyond the habitable zone of the star. Given the new value for the metallicity of the star (245% solar), i would expect this planet to be a "cold super-Pluto" with a moderately thick atmosphere and a very high level of geologic and seismic activity in spite of being billions of years old. The planet would recieve stellar insolation comparable to Ceres.

AVBursch
Meteor
Meteor

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stalker on 23rd June 2010, 7:18 am

Why not an ice giant?

Jovian

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 23rd June 2010, 9:08 am

Orbital separation is 0.33 AUs, HZ=0.12 AUs. It would be as cold as at 2.8 AUs from Sun. Rather a lilliputian Jupiter, I think.

Even an ammonia oceanic planet.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lazarus on 23rd June 2010, 2:49 pm

Well clearly I have to redo my Gliese 876 dynamics add-on for Celestia. Smile

This is pretty neat, was wondering when a Laplace resonance would be confirmed in an extrasolar system (HR 8799 got pretty close to being this). Also notable is the fact the system is near-coplanar, which I guess suggests migration rather than scattering. So probably planet "e" formed external to the gas giants, so a Uranus-type composition (ice giant) is probably fairly reasonable, though perhaps the metallicity may have some effect on what ices form the core of the planet.
Lazarus
dG star
dG star

Number of posts : 2822
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 23rd June 2010, 3:58 pm

Moreover it lies in orbital region much "warmer" than Uranian one, receiving as much radiation as if it were 3 AUs away from a Solar-like star.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lazarus on 4th July 2010, 5:55 am

From 2008...

Unfortunately I don't have access to this, but the abstract is suggestive:
The dwarf star GJ876 may host an extra, Neptune-mass, planet which is in resonance with two giant planets in this system.
Lazarus
dG star
dG star

Number of posts : 2822
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 4th July 2010, 7:57 am

Lazarus wrote:From 2008...

Unfortunately I don't have access to this, but the abstract is suggestive:
The dwarf star GJ876 may host an extra, Neptune-mass, planet which is in resonance with two giant planets in this system.

Sounds like a confirmation.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 4th July 2010, 8:43 am

Edasich wrote:Rather a lilliputian Jupiter, I think.

Okay, I'll ask.

What's a lilliputian Jupiter?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tommi59 on 6th August 2010, 7:15 am

HZ around gliese 876 is 0.1-0.28 AU so the planet is cold temp around -80,-90 but we have only minimum mass of the planet so no doubts this is neptune type of planet not super pluto
tommi59
Jovian
Jovian

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2010-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 6th August 2010, 10:39 am

Still I have to understand what a "Super-Pluto" is...

Maybe they refer to a massive frozen and low-mass planet, but the nickname sounds quite tricky after the new definition for planet.

According to me it is surely a dwarf gas giant alike Neptune, but laying at much closer orbital separation than the former, roughly within the equivalent of Jupiter's orbital zone.

A mini-Jupiter, voilą! Laughing
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tommi59 on 9th August 2010, 9:36 am

Interesting there can be another planet with period 15 days so another resonance 4 planets??b,c,e, and hipotetical f
tommi59
Jovian
Jovian

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2010-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 9th August 2010, 3:36 pm

This paper considers such a planet. They find a region right at about 15 days to be stable, but note that if a planet were there with a mass > 2 Me, it would have been detected by now. They find invoking such a planet useful to explain the eccentricity of d.

(note the paper was written before e was announced, so they refer to the 15-day planet as a "fourth" planet).

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 9th August 2010, 3:54 pm

Sirius_Alpha wrote:This paper considers such a planet. They find a region right at about 15 days to be stable, but note that if a planet were there with a mass > 2 Me, it would have been detected by now. They find invoking such a planet useful to explain the eccentricity of d.

(note the paper was written before e was announced, so they refer to the 15-day planet as a "fourth" planet).

As putative one, though. As for Mu Arae's case where "c" was not clear if being the Jovian outer planet or the inner super-Earth.

This system is surprising, glad if such "fifth" planet were really detected (becoming Gliese 876 f). Even more challenging to search for its transit or multi-transits by each planet.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top