Congratulations to NuclearVacuum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Congratulations to NuclearVacuum

Post by Lazarus on 22nd October 2009, 3:30 am

Your webpage has been mentioned in an arXiv paper about naming the extrasolar planets...

Naming the extrasolar planets

I have to say I prefer NV's multi-cultural scheme to the continued promotion of European-centric Latin/classical Greek names favoured by the paper's author though.
Lazarus
dG star
dG star

Number of posts : 2822
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Congratulations to NuclearVacuum

Post by Edasich on 22nd October 2009, 4:51 am

Claim your copyright!!!

However that is a funny and interesting articles. I will use those names in Science Fiction

Maybe. Wink

Last edited by Edasich on 22nd October 2009, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edasich
dM star
dM star

Number of posts : 1510
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 22nd October 2009, 8:11 am

Holy crud man! Very nice!!!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3468
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NuclearVacuum on 22nd October 2009, 1:19 pm

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just told my whole family and they are all happy for me Very Happy

I still can't believe it. I don't know what do do.

Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

View user profile http://nuclearvacuum.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lazarus on 22nd October 2009, 3:55 pm

Nice one.

Still not sure whether extrasolar planet naming is a particularly good idea at this point in time though - ideally we'd want the names to reflect some characteristic of the world in question (Lyra's choice of Phlegethon, "the river of fire that burns and does not consume", does not seem like a particularly good choice for HD 28185b), and most of the extrasolar planets are not well-characterised at all.

On the other hand, some designations like MOA-2008-BLG-310Lb are rather unwieldy, and some have a potential for confusion: HD 73256 and HD 73526 are both extrasolar planet hosts. Maybe a better idea would be to name the stars instead. So if we name MOA-2008-BLG-310L "Ialysos", the planet becomes Ialysos b. The last thing we want is another case of a name like "Goldilocks", or the case of a named planet turning out to be a red dwarf star...
Lazarus
dG star
dG star

Number of posts : 2822
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 22nd October 2009, 4:16 pm

Lazarus wrote:Nice one.

Still not sure whether extrasolar planet naming is a particularly good idea at this point in time though - ideally we'd want the names to reflect some characteristic of the world in question (Lyra's choice of Phlegethon, "the river of fire that burns and does not consume", does not seem like a particularly good choice for HD 28185b), and most of the extrasolar planets are not well-characterised at all.

On the other hand, some designations like MOA-2008-BLG-310Lb are rather unwieldy, and some have a potential for confusion: HD 73256 and HD 73526 are both extrasolar planet hosts. Maybe a better idea would be to name the stars instead. So if we name MOA-2008-BLG-310L "Ialysos", the planet becomes Ialysos b. The last thing we want is another case of a name like "Goldilocks", or the case of a named planet turning out to be a red dwarf star...

Indeed there is HD 43848 b that has turned out a red dwarf indeed!

However some names seem good and fit well with planet's characteristic and zodiacal location, but other ones don't.

I've noticed that Scylla and Charybdis being assigned to different planets in different systems, when this famous couple of monsters is always mentioned alike the... devil and the deep sea *lol*.

I don't like the name Merope for Gliese 667 Cb, when there's already an omonymous star in Pleiades!

Same for Gliese 433 b, Spio: sounds like the planet of spies...

*As for me I like names of mine, Coatlicue and Moloch...*

Gliese 436's name is serendipitously identical to my early designation, though now I call it Phlegyas, reflecting more the blazing and hellish nature of the world.

CT Chamaeleontis b, according to its young age, should receive another name. Nereus is the God of Sea and quite an ancient deity.

Well, once I should put a list of mine, to not annoy you further

Anyway I agree with Lazarus: several mythological names from several Indo-European and other cultures can be employed for exoplanetary nomenclature. Only HD 290327 b has a non-Greek-Roman name: Gilgamesh.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

Number of posts : 1510
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NuclearVacuum on 22nd October 2009, 9:31 pm

I just got in contact with Mr. Lyra (the scientist of the report). Nothing special happened, but I thanked him, and he was happy to find my work.

As for all his names, what kind of person would I be to deny someone's ideas in the same field that I'm in. But I did tell him my opinion on non-Roman/Greek mythology and some of my naming methods. He concludes that the constellations that have Roman/Greek meanings should have Roman/Greek names, where as the non-mythological constellations should not. I told him that I think Osiris should be the name for HD 209458 b (even though it is in the Greek constellation of Pegasus). Though I didn't tell him yet, but I would also think Icarus would be a better name for HD 80606 b.

But other than that, I find most of his suggestions quite fascinating.

Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

View user profile http://nuclearvacuum.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: