Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system

Post by Lazarus on 24th March 2009, 4:35 pm

Stability of additional planets in and around the habitable zone of the HD 47186 Planetary System

HD 47186 is a non-packed (as far as is currently known) planetary system with a hot Neptune and a Saturn-mass planet in an outer orbit. The inner part of the habitable zone seems to be capable of hosting additional low-mass planets.

In particular...
It is possible that the two known planets in HD 47186 may have migrated to their present location. Previous studies (Raymond et al. 2006; Mandell et al. 2007) have shown that migrating giant planets donít preclude the existence of terrestrial planets. In fact, if the outer planet migrated inward then the most likely place for an extra planet would be just interior to the 2:1 MMR, which lies in the middle of the EHZ. Planets of ∼ 10 M or less are thought to be the largest potentially terrestrial planets with rocky surfaces and thin atmospheres. This provides an effective upper limit for habitability as we know it. Therefore HD 47186 offers the chance to detect a terrestrial planet in the HZ of a nearby, solar-type star.

(EHZ = eccentric habitable zone)
Lazarus
dG star
dG star

Number of posts : 2771
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Habitable planets in the HD 47186 system

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 24th March 2009, 9:02 pm

I'm not very convinced.

"There might be a planet here. Perhaps we should go look for it." Could be applied anywhere.

Or is there something that I'm missing?

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3403
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 25th March 2009, 5:52 am

If you wish, I can extract vels file for HD 47186 in order to perform a Systemic simulation. In discovery paper no radial velocities were given in text format but only as figure.
Since recently I'm "toying" with radial velocity graphics to get vels files, I could give my contribution.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

Number of posts : 1500
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top