Pulsar Planets

Go down

Pulsar Planets

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 3rd October 2017, 8:35 pm

PSR B0329+54 is back!

On The Existence of Planets Around the Pulsar PSR B0329+54
https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.01153

Results of timing measurements of the pulsar PSR B0329+54 obtained in 1968--2012 using the Big Scanning Antenna of the Pushchino Radio Astronomy Observatory (at 102 and 111 MHz), the DSS 13 and DSS 14 telescopes of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (2388 MHz), and the 64 m telescope of the Kalyazin Radio Astronomy Observatory (610 MHz) are presented. The astrometric and rotational parameters of the pulsar are derived at a new epoch. Periodic variations in the barycentric timing residuals have been found, which can be explained by the presence of a planet orbiting the pulsar, with an orbital period P1 = 27.8 yr, mass \textit{mc}sin\textit{i} = 2M⊕, and orbital semi-major axis a = 10.26 AU. The results of this study do not confirm existence of a proposed second planet with orbital period P2 = 3 yr.


Last edited by Sirius_Alpha on 8th September 2018, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Caps Lock: Cruise control for 'Cool'!
avatar
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3702
Location : Earth
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Edasich on 4th October 2017, 3:48 am

Well, quite longer orbital period but that's certainly a great return. Smile
avatar
Edasich
dM star
dM star

Number of posts : 1548
Location : Tau Ceti g - Mid Latitudes
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Edasich on 26th October 2017, 3:59 am

avatar
Edasich
dM star
dM star

Number of posts : 1548
Location : Tau Ceti g - Mid Latitudes
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 26th October 2017, 8:15 am

That's been out for three years and nobody knew about it? Shocked

_________________
Caps Lock: Cruise control for 'Cool'!
avatar
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3702
Location : Earth
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Edasich on 26th October 2017, 12:07 pm

Yes, right. Moreover a couple of Jovian planets around a neutron star is not a negligible a piece of news, both survived to the supernova phase.
avatar
Edasich
dM star
dM star

Number of posts : 1548
Location : Tau Ceti g - Mid Latitudes
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Lazarus on 2nd November 2017, 4:30 pm

PSR B0943+10 is an interesting one, unfortunately the papers claiming planets are paywalled and the only non-paywalled reference I can find is in Russian - at least I think it's Russian, unfortunately it isn't playing nice with copy/paste so I can't try Google Translate's "Detect language" feature. Not sure what to make of it or why it hasn't attracted more attention, but this pulsar does seem to be notable for mode-switching behaviour, not sure whether that would lead to planet-mimicking effects.

Edit: Note that the link to the paper pdf now appears to be dead, I have updated it to the ADS info page. See Daniel's later post for an English-language version.


Last edited by Lazarus on 5th September 2018, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed dead link)
avatar
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3014
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by tommi59 on 3rd November 2017, 5:01 am

The results of timing observations of the pulsar PSR B0943+10 demonstrating
mode swithing phenomenon at radio and X-ray frequencies are presented. Observations were
carried out at 112 MHz over MJD span 54150-57660. Additional circumstances have been found pointing to the presence of two planets orbiting the pulsar with periods of about 792 and 1583 days
avatar
tommi59
Jovian
Jovian

Number of posts : 563
Age : 40
Location : Baile Atha Cliath
Registration date : 2010-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Daniel on 5th September 2018, 11:05 am

Lazarus wrote:PSR B0943+10 is an interesting one, unfortunately the papers claiming planets are paywalled and the only non-paywalled reference I can find is in Russian (pdf) - at least I think it's Russian, unfortunately it isn't playing nice with copy/paste so I can't try Google Translate's "Detect language" feature. Not sure what to make of it or why it hasn't attracted more attention, but this pulsar does seem to be notable for mode-switching behaviour, not sure whether that would lead to planet-mimicking effects.

I Found the free version in english of this paper, I've download for free,it's a fascinating Pulsar Planetary System.  

Detection of Regular Variations in the Intensity and Pulse Time of Arrival of the Anomalous Pulsar PSR B0943+10

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268386644_Detection_of_Regular_Variations_in_the_Intensity_and_Pulse_Time_of_Arrival_of_the_Anomalous_Pulsar_PSR_B094310
avatar
Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-11-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Daniel on 5th September 2018, 11:18 am

Is It PSR B0943+10 planetary system different of  PSR B0329+54 planetary system? Is it supposed have a separate page just for PSR B0943+10?
avatar
Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-11-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Lazarus on 5th September 2018, 12:48 pm

Daniel wrote:I Found the free version in english of this paper, I've download for free,it's a fascinating Pulsar Planetary System.  

Detection of Regular Variations in the Intensity and Pulse Time of Arrival of the Anomalous Pulsar PSR B0943+10

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268386644_Detection_of_Regular_Variations_in_the_Intensity_and_Pulse_Time_of_Arrival_of_the_Anomalous_Pulsar_PSR_B094310
Thanks for finding that! Will be interesting to see if the proposed system holds up in terms of dynamical stability.

Going back to the pulsar mentioned in the thread title, Elena Starovoit's presentation at the IAU 2018 meeting included both PSR B0329+54 and PSR B0525+21. Regarding PSR B0525+21, again I find a reference that is in Russian: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2018ATsir1642....1R

Daniel wrote:Is It PSR B0943+10 planetary system different of PSR B0329+54 planetary system? Is it supposed have a separate page just for PSR B0943+10?
These are two different pulsars, so yes this thread seems to have undergone a bit of "scope creep" Smile


Last edited by Lazarus on 5th September 2018, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to IAU 2018 thread)
avatar
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3014
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Daniel on 5th September 2018, 1:12 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Daniel wrote:I Found the free version in english of this paper, I've download for free,it's a fascinating Pulsar Planetary System.  

Detection of Regular Variations in the Intensity and Pulse Time of Arrival of the Anomalous Pulsar PSR B0943+10

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268386644_Detection_of_Regular_Variations_in_the_Intensity_and_Pulse_Time_of_Arrival_of_the_Anomalous_Pulsar_PSR_B094310
Thanks for finding that! Will be interesting to see if the proposed system holds up in terms of dynamical stability.

Going back to the pulsar mentioned in the thread title, Elena Starovoit's presentation at the IAU 2018 meeting included both PSR B0329+54 and PSR B0525+21. Regarding PSR B0525+21, again I find a reference that is in Russian: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2018ATsir1642....1R

Daniel wrote:Is It PSR B0943+10 planetary system different of  PSR B0329+54 planetary system? Is it supposed have a separate page just for PSR B0943+10?
These are two different pulsars, so yes this thread seems to have undergone a bit of "scope creep" Smile

About PSR B0525+21 I found this:

https://astronomy2018.univie.ac.at/abstractsiaus348

Third pulsar in the same thread will mess it even more Laughing
avatar
Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-11-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 5th September 2018, 4:09 pm

Do we need to make this a general pulsar planet thread? Laughing
Certainly with their discovery rate, it's not like it'll be that long a thread.

_________________
Caps Lock: Cruise control for 'Cool'!
avatar
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3702
Location : Earth
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 6th September 2018, 7:36 pm

Yeah... so... using that equation on wikipedia's Apsidal Precession page, I get an apsidal precession that's actually slightly less than Mercury's. 4.112e-7 for PSR B0525+21 b, vs 5.028e-7 for Mercury (in radians per second?).
Elena Starovot wrote:Additionally, the precession of the planet's line of apses has been measured, and it is dφ = -0.77 rad/period.

Can someone explain this? Am I misunderstanding this? I get the impression from that quote that the orbit precesses at like 45 degrees per orbit. Something I was fine with until a friend of mine questioned it with me, causing me to calculate the periapsis was a whole ~0.3 AU, which caused me to try to calculate the precession rate. Now I don't know what's going on. Incorrect abstract? Relativistic weirdness near the pulsar?

_________________
Caps Lock: Cruise control for 'Cool'!
avatar
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3702
Location : Earth
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Lazarus on 7th September 2018, 8:19 am

Oh wow, somehow the units didn't register with me. That's a completely insane rate of precession, definitely looks like it's far beyond anything GR would do. The Russian paper I linked upthread gives a slightly different but still extremely problematic value of -0.67 radians/period, so looks like if the values are in error, this is consistent with the previous work.

Unfortunately don't know any Russian to see whether there's any attempt to physically justify that precession value. If the value is correct, I wouldn't be surprised if it implies that the variations are not caused by reflex motion due to a planet.
avatar
Lazarus
dF star
dF star

Number of posts : 3014
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Stalker on 8th September 2018, 6:39 pm

I know well russian but seldom read it, I will read the paper soon.

_________________
avatar
Stalker
Jovian
Jovian

Number of posts : 537
Age : 27
Location : Paris, France
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pulsar Planets

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum