What would be Earth if it orbited other stars?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What would be Earth if it orbited other stars?

Post by Diakonov on 14th October 2016, 10:16 am

I used Space Engine as a base for this topic. How would be the color of the sky and plants on Earth if it orbited other types of stars? I'll show what I found using Space Engine. I also lowered a bit the ocean level on Earth.

Q (pulsar):

O5V stars:

B5V stars:

A5V stars:

F5V stars:

G5V stars:

K5V stars:

M0V stars:

M5V stars:

M9V stars:

L5V brown dwarfs:

T5V brown dwarfs:

Y5V brown dwarfs:

In some M stars the sky is still blue, but more pale. Below that type, the sky start to turn green, later yellow and finally red. The Earth sky in a M5V star is greenish. If Earth orbited around brown dwarfs, the day would really look very dark, so you can see night lights even in the dayside. As for the vegetation, looks like plants would use more infrared if illuminated by cooler stars. If Earth orbited the coolest stars, plants would be unable to produce oxygen, but would use infrared to produce some other gas (maybe NO2 or H2?)

Well, I believe this may be useful to understand the color of skies on planets orbiting other types of stars.

Diakonov
Rock
Rock

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would be Earth if it orbited other stars?

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 14th October 2016, 3:32 pm

My understanding, (and take it with a grain of salt because I'm really not an expert), is that if you're close enough to a star that its brightness matches what the sun's is, you wouldn't really notice any differences in colour until the mid-to-late M spectral type. Something about the eye being overwhelmed and rendering the star is brilliant white.

(I've also moved the thread into a more appropriate subforum).

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3403
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum