expansion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

expansion?

Post by Mezon on 3rd June 2008, 10:24 pm

I was looking at this guy's idea(link here) and I think that(more or less) it could be plausible... the problem of deep space travel for humans doesn't seem right but it looks like a good idea for finding a target planet, then working on the problem from there. Though I do not know much about the topic myself, perhaps more research could be done on this?

Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: expansion?

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 3rd June 2008, 10:54 pm

Sure, certainly an interesting idea. He seems to not have considered necessarily how to get to these target destinations. As you're probably aware, nothing can go the speed of light or faster. So limited to just under light speed, the closest star system, Alpha Centauri, is five years away =(. Of course, hauling humanity would need a rather large ship, or ships. Then there's the problem of power sources, and such.

By the time this is feasiable, it'll be thousands of years in the future, and we'll for sure have found a good planet to live on.
Sirius_Alpha
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3495
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

hmm...

Post by Mezon on 4th June 2008, 2:37 pm

Yea... it will take thousands of years because of inflation everywhere. In those thousand years, we may revert back to trading chickens for goods, increasing the time it will take to come up with the technology. -.-

Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken McCarty on 1st July 2008, 1:03 am

The idea is interesting; but I don't think it is viable as is. Sending out just a few humans alone is not viable either. Perhaps doing both together in tandem is more reasonable, and we would have less of a problem with culturalization of the next generation. Sending out a large population of adult humans seems silly in comparison. Robots could help, but there would still be a few humans always around for culturalization of that new space going generation. We don't know the long term physical effects of such travel on such a population of humans. That will remain an open question for quite some time. I'm sure there would be consequences, but these problems might also be mitigated through continued research.

We modify the scenario where there is a continuous supply of a few embryos being grown and then born in flight. Once the ship has arrived at the destination, there would be plenty of genetic diversity to make a viable population with a link to traditional human culture.

Anyway you look at it...it seems to be a difficult proposition to sell and make work. Regardless, the technical challenges are enormous. But such modifications as discussed in my post probably present fewer ethical challenges, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Ken McCarty on 1st July 2008, 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)

Ken McCarty
Hydrogen Atom
Hydrogen Atom

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryag Han on 24th November 2009, 10:27 am

well,the idea is nice,but the technical need is LARGE!
all i can say is...not this decade!
Ryag Han
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-11-24

View user profile http://gargonwill.myminicity.com/

Back to top Go down

Expansion mania!

Post by gaiaphoto on 21st January 2010, 5:56 am

as to any expansion of the species homo sapiens sapiens into space it seems too far fetched assuming space travel. Our species is solely conditioned to Earth conditions.
Having send one message from Aricebo to a far-flung star system is commendable and enough.
I believe we should entirely conduct ourselves to listening and/or interception, that is, if we are extremely lucky.
fazit:
Since we are only active in the electromagnetic spectrum less than 90 years, and, therefore, our window is exceedingly small.

gaiaphoto
Hydrogen Atom
Hydrogen Atom

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri.Murenko on 22nd January 2010, 7:43 pm

gaiaphoto wrote:as to any expansion of the species homo sapiens sapiens into space it seems too far fetched assuming space travel. Our species is solely conditioned to Earth conditions.
Having send one message from Aricebo to a far-flung star system is commendable and enough.
I believe we should entirely conduct ourselves to listening and/or interception, that is, if we are extremely lucky.
fazit:
Since we are only active in the electromagnetic spectrum less than 90 years, and, therefore, our window is exceedingly small.

Long ago our species was probably "conditioned" as you say, to only one continent yet we have somehow managed to spread to the farthest corners of our little blue planet, maybe in the next centaury we will continue to migrate outward into other parts of space. After all, we are an invasive species by nature.

as to Mezon's outdated link can anyone explain what it was about? i can't make anything out from the conversation.
Yuri.Murenko
Micrometeorite
Micrometeorite

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 23rd January 2010, 2:06 am

IIRC, something about colonising other solar systems to preserve humanity.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3495
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Roland Borrey on 29th September 2010, 2:30 am

Today, it looks horrible to merge Human and robot, but in a couple of hunderd years, it might be the way of life for those who wants to lenghted their lfe behond the flesh capabilities. Then space travel is not as utopic.
500 years of transit, will seem like a walk in the park. scratch
Roland Borrey
Asteroid
Asteroid

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down