Admin

Number of posts : 3402
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://solar-flux.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Unconfirmed/Unpublished Planets Catalogue

Post by Daniel on 17th January 2014, 7:27 am

for me DE0823-49 system it's a binary system

Astrometric orbit of a low-mass companion to an ultracool dwarf?

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1306.3225.pdf

Astrometric detection of exoplanets from the ground

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1309.0329.pdf
Daniel
SuperEarth
SuperEarth

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2009-11-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 17th January 2014, 8:58 am

Ah right. For some reason it didn't occur to me that DE0823-49 was short for DENIS-P J082303.1-491201. Thanks.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 17th January 2014, 9:03 am

Hard nut to crack the exoplanet-brown dwarf boundary. Ma & Ge (2013) have proposed to raise it up to 42 Jupiter masses...
Edasich
dM star
dM star

Number of posts : 1500
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tommi59 on 17th January 2014, 1:11 pm

Stupid idea it should be lowered again to 10 jupiter mass
tommi59
Jovian
Jovian

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 17th January 2014, 1:54 pm

tommi59 wrote:Stupid idea it should be lowered again to 10 jupiter mass

I guess it's a proposal to account for the so-called "brown dwarf desert", since 50-70 Jupiter masses brown dwarfs seems way more frequent than 40 Jupiter masses ones and less than 20-25 Jupiter masses ones too. This could add more uncertainties though.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 17th January 2014, 4:29 pm

tommi59 wrote:Stupid idea it should be lowered again to 10 jupiter mass
As always when someone proposes a line to mark the divide between brown dwarfs and planets, you're going to be expected to have some rationale for why you think 10 MJ should be that line. Not that you're necessarily "wrong," it just isn't clear that there is a "right" answer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lazarus on 17th January 2014, 6:09 pm

The whole mass limit issue is perhaps a bit misleading anyway.

Something that works nicely from a theoretical perspective may not hold up too well when confronted with observations. E.g. formation mechanism (planet-like vs star-like) is all well and good but is observationally hard to apply to an individual object.

There are hints that the universe is quite capable of building deuterium-burning planets and non-fusing stars, so putting in a hard-and-fast rule based on the presence of fusion fails when confronted with, say, >13 Jupiter-mass planets in multi-planet systems, but we don't usually have the information about the history of an object.

The brown dwarf desert is certainly suggestive and does at least lead to an observationally-based criterion, but the context has to be borne in mind - it is largely based on observations of objects in a certain subset of orbits around sunlike stars, but does it also apply to lower- or higher-mass stars, or to free-floating objects, etc.
Lazarus
dG star
dG star

Number of posts : 2771
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baltazar on 26th January 2014, 3:34 pm

Edasich wrote:Got any reference about these claims?

I've read similar things about Beta Cancri and Kappa Geminorum. About stellar companions.

I ran across this here and here. I thought a reference would be easier to find on arxiv but I haven't had luck there.
Baltazar
Meteor
Meteor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 27th January 2014, 4:57 am

It deals with widely separateed stellar companions, not substellar neither planetary ones.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baltazar on 27th January 2014, 1:02 pm

Edasich wrote:It deals with widely separateed stellar companions, not substellar neither planetary ones.

In that case I apologize.

I was wondering, is there an update on HD 45184? Like data that points to additional companions or unconfirmed ones etc.? There was one big superterran confirmed some time 2011 I think but there has been nothing since.
Baltazar
Meteor
Meteor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 26th February 2014, 6:01 am

EPE is listing 1,074 planets. Three planets have vanished. Does anyone know which ones? I cannot spot them.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 19th June 2014, 5:58 am

Long period substellar companion at HD 211847 listed in "confirmed" exoplanet section:

http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/hd_211847_b/
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellface on 19th June 2014, 3:04 pm

Only four years late!

It's not inconceivable that the companion formed as a planet, though. Even though the star isn't on the metal-rich side.

Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2013-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 27th August 2014, 9:19 am

1) Substellar/planetary companions to RR Lyrae stars in Kepler field?

Period analysis of two non-Blazhko RRab stars, FN Lyr and V894 Cyg, based on Kepler photometry: evidence of low-mass companions on wider orbits

Long-cadence-corrected pre-search data conditioning (PDC) fluxes of FN Lyr (KIC 6936115) and V894 Cyg (KIC 9591503), observed continuously by the Kepler mission, spanning over 1470 d, are used to determine hundreds of times of maximum and minimum for the analysis of O - C residuals. The interpretation of the clear variations in the O - C diagrams is that these are caused by the light-travel-time effect as a result of additional companions. The mass functions of the companions are f (M) = (3.94 ± 0.82) × 10-6 and (2.01 ± 0.22) × 10-4 M⊙. Assuming that the orbital plane inclination follows a random distribution, the companions to both stars can be constrained to be substellar objects (brown dwarf or giant planet), with 89.4 and 59.4 per cent probability, respectively. Under the assumption that the orbital inclination equals 90°, the distances between the companions and the central RR Lyrae stars at periastron should be 1.03 and 0.50 au, respectively. In addition, the orbital periods are 794.8 and 1084.4 d for FN Lyr and V894 Cyg, respectively. By comparing these orbital parameters with those of B subdwarf stars in binary systems, there are strong hints that horizontal branch stars might have different evolution histories. The long-term pulsation period changes are also discussed. Based on our studies, RR Lyrae stars in binary systems are not rare, at least among binary systems with wider separations.

Paywall only, at the moment.

3) No planet but a "circumtertiary" brown dwarf companion to *V404 Lyrae.

The Eclipsing System V404 LYR: Light-travel Times and γ Doradus Pulsations

We present the physical properties of V404 Lyr exhibiting eclipse timing variations and multiperiodic pulsations from all historical data including the Kepler and SuperWASP observations. Detailed analyses of 2922 minimum epochs showed that the orbital period has varied through a combination of an upward-opening parabola and two sinusoidal variations, with periods of P 3 = 649 days and P 4 = 2154 days and semi-amplitudes of K 3 = 193 s and K 4 = 49 s, respectively. The secular period increase at a rate of +1.41 × 10–7 days yr–1 could be interpreted as a combination of the secondary to primary mass transfer and angular momentum loss. The most reasonable explanation for both sinusoids is a pair of light-travel-time effects due to two circumbinary objects with projected masses of M 3 = 0.47 M ☉ and M 4 = 0.047 M ☉. The third-body parameters are consistent with those calculated using the Wilson-Devinney binary code. For the orbital inclinations i 4 >~ 43°, the fourth component has a mass within the hydrogen-burning limit of ~0.07 M ☉, which implies that it is a brown dwarf. A satisfactory model for the Kepler light curves was obtained by applying a cool spot to the secondary component. The results demonstrate that the close eclipsing pair is in a semi-detached, but near-contact, configuration; the primary fills approximately 93% of its limiting lobe and is larger than the lobe-filling secondary. Multiple frequency analyses were applied to the light residuals after subtracting the synthetic eclipsing curve from the Kepler data. This revealed that the primary component of V404 Lyr is a γ Dor type pulsating star, exhibiting seven pulsation frequencies in the range of 1.85-2.11 day–1 with amplitudes of 1.38-5.72 mmag and pulsation constants of 0.24-0.27 days. The seven frequencies were clearly identified as high-order low-degree gravity-mode oscillations which might be excited through tidal interaction. Only eight eclipsing binaries have been known to contain γ Dor pulsating components and, therefore, V404 Lyr will be an important test bed for investigating these rare and interesting objects.

3) Exosolar "Lord of Rings": possible substellar companion to star 1SWASP J140747.93-394542.6 with ring system and perhaps exomoons too. Quite deserving a WASP designation as soon as possible...

Analysis of 1SWASP J140747.93-394542.6 eclipse fine-structure: hints of exomoons

A recently discovered V = 12.3 mag K5 pre-main-sequence star in the SuperWASP (Super Wide Angle Search for Planets) data base shows a peculiar light curve with a highly structured eclipse pattern covering a timespan of at least 54 d with maximum dimming of at least 3.3 mag. The central eclipse is surrounded by two 1 mag eclipses at ±12 and ±26 d. The authors speculate that the star is eclipsed by a substellar companion with an extended and highly structured ring system. To investigate the nightly light-curve structure and to confirm the multiple-ring hypothesis, we have carried out a calibrated reduction of the SuperWASP data, removing both systematic errors and periodic stellar variability. We count at least 24 inflection points on ingress and 16 on egress, consistent with the presence of at least 24 rings in this disc. By measuring the light-curve slope, we find implied speeds for the eclipsing object that are incompatible with a closed Kepler orbit with P = 2.3 yr. We propose several scenarios that could give rise to such light-curve slopes and find that azimuthal ring structure (analogous to `spokes' seen in Saturn's rings) can account for the observed light curve. The highly structured ring system also implies the presence of exomoons orbiting the secondary companion.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 30th April 2015, 6:22 am

Hi. I've got a request: I'm searching for a paper or poster where an additional planet to HD 80606 is inferred, specifically an internal low-mass planet (0.06 MJ at P=0.49 days). I cannot retrieve anything in the net.
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirius_Alpha on 30th April 2015, 7:45 pm

I haven't found anything. Can you give us *ANY* more information? A phrase you vaguely remember that might be associated with it?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stalker on 1st May 2015, 7:45 am

I remember something from oklo.org... But i'm not interested enough to search it.

Jovian

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile http://exoplanetes.wetpaint.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 15th May 2015, 4:06 am

Another riddle: I have listed in my own "Unconfirmed Planets" list a bunch of additional low-mass planets in eccentic habitable orbits in systems already hosting a hot Jupiter (like WASP-2 Ab, HD 162020 b, HD 101930 Ab) or a "water Jupiter" (e.g. HD 190647 b), but I cannot retrieve the original paper, supposing that they were mentioned in a paper.
Here are some examples:

1) HD 101930 c - m sin i = 0.05 MJup Porb= 362.82 d a = 0.99 AUs e=0.55

2) HD 142022 c - m sin i = 0.05 MJup Porb= 244.04 d a = 0.74 AUs e=0.52

3) HD 156668 c - m sin i = 0.141 MJup Porb= 839.5 d a = 1.6 AUs e= ?

4) HD 162020 c - m sin i = 0.1 MJup Porb= 180.71 d a = 0.58 AUs e=0.57

5) HD 190647 c - m sin i = 0.08 MJup Porb= 422.54 d a = 1.14 AUs e=0.55

6) WASP-2 c - m sin i = 0.15 MJup Porb= 265.16 d a = 0.77 AUs e=0.53

Can you help me?
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellface on 16th May 2015, 9:08 am

Hmm. I don't recognise any of those, and looking through literature, they don't seem to come from a paper. I don't think these were from any sort of "official" thing.

Except for maybe HD 156668 (I think), those are all systems with RV data that ships with systemic. Maybe this was your own work, or something to that effect?

I will point out that, of those, only HD 156668 "c" is particularly convincing; the signal was discussed in the discovery paper for b, but the writers avoided making any strong judgements of its nature. Perhaps we will see an update to that in the near future.

Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lazarus on 8th September 2015, 1:20 pm

Donati et al. "Magnetic activity and hot Jupiters of young Suns: the weak-line T Tauri stars V819 Tau and V830 Tau"
http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.02110

Possible hot Jupiter orbiting V830 Tau.

We nevertheless stress that the detection of this RV signal currently relies on a small number of points, preventing us in particular to firmly assess its periodic nature; as a result, we cannot yet entirely exclude the option that it reflects some yet unclear systematics in our data.
Lazarus
dG star
dG star

Number of posts : 2771
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellface on 8th September 2015, 5:20 pm

Though it's good to use caution for RVs on extremely young stars - considering the mess of previous announcements - their methodology looks good, the implied planet is realistic and they achieve lower scatter on a similar star - but their dataset is (understandably) very limited, and their errors are sub-par. I think they've taken an adequate amount of caution - though the signal is a good-looking candidate, statistics are not all behind it at the current juncture.

Still. It's very encouraging to see that activity modelling to the level of tens of m/s is possible on T Tauri stars, even if it is difficult. Hopefully we'll see more of the sort in future.

Mild edit: I'm not certain, but I think V830 Tau may be within the proposed location of K2 Campaign 13. Though that is quite far into the future and it doesn't seem certain Kepler will keep functioning for that long, it would be quite interesting to see whether the star is a transit host…

Shellface
Neptune-Mass
Neptune-Mass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 13th October 2015, 9:31 am

Several unpublished extrasolar gas giant planets (even massive ones) orbiting K giant stars from David S. Mitchell's PhD thesis.

Some example? Beta Ceti (Diphda) & Alpha Crateris (Alkes).
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edasich on 14th October 2015, 4:36 pm

Edasich wrote:Another riddle: I have listed in my own "Unconfirmed Planets" list a bunch of additional low-mass planets in eccentic habitable orbits in systems already hosting a hot Jupiter (like WASP-2 Ab, HD 162020 b, HD 101930 Ab) or a "water Jupiter" (e.g. HD 190647 b), but I cannot retrieve the original paper, supposing that they were mentioned in a paper.
Here are some examples:

1) HD 101930 c - m sin i = 0.05 MJup Porb= 362.82 d a = 0.99 AUs e=0.55

2) HD 142022 c - m sin i = 0.05 MJup Porb= 244.04 d a = 0.74 AUs e=0.52

3) HD 156668 c - m sin i = 0.141 MJup Porb= 839.5 d a = 1.6 AUs e= ?

4) HD 162020 c - m sin i = 0.1 MJup Porb= 180.71 d a = 0.58 AUs e=0.57

5) HD 190647 c - m sin i = 0.08 MJup Porb= 422.54 d a = 1.14 AUs e=0.55

6) WASP-2 c - m sin i = 0.15 MJup Porb= 265.16 d a = 0.77 AUs e=0.53

Can you help me?

Heaven helps those who help themselves. Laughing

Retrieved original paper where additional planets from RV analysis are inferred: A Uniformly Derived Catalogue of Exoplanets from Radial Velocities. Take a peek. Smile

Last edited by Edasich on 15th October 2015, 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Edasich
dM star
dM star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lazarus on 14th October 2015, 5:00 pm

Corrected link http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.0668
Lazarus