PSR B1257+12 D: extrasolar dwarf planet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should this planet (if confirmed) be clasified as an "extrasolar dwarf planet"?

100% 100% 
[ 3 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 3

PSR B1257+12 D: extrasolar dwarf planet?

Post by NuclearVacuum on 18th September 2008, 12:21 pm

Now that the Solar system contains five dwarf planets, I would like to bring up an opinion poll on PSR B1257+12 D. Because of its mass and presumable size, should this planet be classified as the first "extrasolar dwarf planet"? I do mean should we use this definition if the planet is confirmed. alien
NuclearVacuum
Terrestrial Planet
Terrestrial Planet

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-07-05

View user profile http://nuclearvacuum.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: PSR B1257+12 D: extrasolar dwarf planet?

Post by Lazarus on 18th September 2008, 1:14 pm

I'd say yes. According to the estimator in this paper, this object would not clear its orbital neighbourhood within a Hubble time. The calculation basically boils down to

Λ≈1.7×1016(Mp/M)2a-3/2

for a solar mass star. Planets (in their terminology, überplanets) have Λ>1, dwarf planets (in their terminology, unterplanets) have Λ<1. I'm not entirely sure how to translate this to other stellar masses, but it seems there is an additional scaling of Ms1/2, which would mean

Λ≈1.7×1016(Ms/M)(Mp/Ms)2a-3/2

For the outer object orbiting PSR B1257+12, this works out as Λ<1, so it looks like it is not a planet. The remaining question is whether it is in hydrostatic equilibrium - if the true mass is high enough, then yes, make it a dwarf planet.
Lazarus
dG star
dG star

Number of posts : 2873
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness nova on 1st October 2008, 4:11 pm

I dunno.

Has it cleared out it's orbital path?

Darkness nova
Asteroid
Asteroid

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AVBursch on 15th May 2009, 7:56 pm

If a dwarf planet can be viewed as a world that has planet-like characteristics, but does not have sufficient mass to be a full-fledged planet, then the outermost known world of PSR B1257+12 would be a dwarf planet. The world has 21% of the mass of Pluto -- that's definitely well within the mass range for a dwarf planet.

As for clearing it's orbital neighborhood -- not likely. The pulsar has 1.4 (presumed) times the mass of the Sun, and the world has a semi-major axis almost three times that of Earth. At a distance of 2.8 AU from the pulsar, a world would likely need to have at least 5 times the mass of Pluto in order to establish dynamical dominance.

AVBursch
Meteor
Meteor

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum